Junior Volunteer Playworker Program
Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota
The Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota is accepting applications for our Junior Volunteer Playworker program (JVP). Applicants must be entering grades 7 – 10 during the application year. Application deadlines are May 1st for the summer program (June – August) and September 15th for the school year program (October – April).
Play! Spend your time playing with children in the Museum’s exhibits and supporting our Loft programming. You’ll volunteer with our Playwork staff and other volunteers, and meet a lot of new people.
Learn! Build your teamwork, communication, and leadership skills. This is a great way to build your resume for scholarships, college applications, and future employment.
Serve! Support your community and the families who visit the Museum with playful learning experiences by giving your time. You’ll be a positive role-model and make an impact on the lives of thousands of children.
This program is designed for students entering grades 7 – 10 (ages 12 – 16) during the application year, who have an interest in being active in their community, learning important job skills, and have an interest in early childhood education, STEM education, agriculture, Dakota history, or the arts. Being a JVP is a perfect fit for outgoing and energetic volunteers that enjoy meeting new people and being in social situations. JVP’s are trained on each exhibit to understand the play experience as well as ways to interact and provide a welcoming atmosphere for our guests during their visit to the Museum.
Volunteer duties include:
• A willingness to embrace informal learning opportunities.
• Providing a high level of enthusiastic customer service.
• Modeling play and engaging visitors in exhibits and activities.
• Answering visitor questions about the Museum and seeking out answers if not known.
• Resetting exhibits and activities on an as-needed basis.
• Performing some janitorial duties.
• Providing for a suitable level of safety for visitors.
• Enthusiasm and support for the Museum.
• Enjoyment of and enthusiasm for children and families.
• Dependability, self-motivation, creativity, and flexibility.
• Being visitor-focused.
• Parent or guardian permission and support.
• Entering 7th – 10th grades in the application year (ages 12 – 16).
• Committing to a minimum of 2 hours per week.
For more information about the Junior Volunteer Playworker Program, contact Brenda Allen, Volunteer Coordinator at 507.344.9108 or via email. Download the application for this volunteer position here.